Re: Starter motors & flywheels

To: "Joan Parker" <mulpark@intekom.co.za>
Subject: Re: Starter motors & flywheels
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@home.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 17:56:49 -0500
Do you have right-hand drive? The workshop manual talks about disconnecting
all that stuff, but I found it totally unnecessary on my left-hand drive 52
TD. As I remember, the only tricky part was having to slide it rearwards a
bit to where there is enough clearance between the frame and the exhaust
pipe for the starter to fall through.

While on the topic of starters, the teeth on my fly wheel are a bit on the
worn side. I'm thinking it might be beneficial to put a spacer (like some
paper gasket material) between the starter and the block. This would pull
the pinion gear a bit further into the flywheel teeth. Has anyone ever tried
this? (Would this make me a future DPO?)

By the way, why is the mg-t mail so sparse lately? Could it be people not
noticing the list added note at the end of our mail? It was killing all my
replies until I finally read it!

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@home.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470