Electrical Harness Help with '51 TD

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electrical Harness Help with '51 TD
From: "Wild Bill" <modela31a@empnet.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 18:26:47 -0800
Maybe someone on this list can help me on this situation.

I put my 51 TD together about 25 years ago from pieces using an Abingdon
Spares parts catalogue as a guide.

I put in a new wiring harness at the time and just guessed at what every
wire was for. It all seemed to work but Ive never been convinced I had one
of  the wires correct.

Heres what Ive been looking at, (my TDs right hand drive if that makes
any difference) on the right firewall is the fuel pump. I ran a branch of
the wiring harness thru the hole below the fuel pump and theres a white
wire (hot to the pump) a small black wire (I attached this to a ground bolt
on the fuel pump body as a ground? (which it doesnt seem to be now that I
check it with a meter) and another black wire that has a larger connector on
it This one was the questionable wire.  I attached this to one of the two
large bolts that hold the fuel pump bracket to the tool box..again as a
ground (which it also doesnt seem to be). I was never sure if this wire was
supposed to go on the fuel pump side of the firewall or the inside (which is
where it branches off the harness). It didnt seem to reach anything on the
inside so I ran it on out but it never looked right.

Ive been checking out the fuel pump recently and it looks like the pump has
always gotten its ground from being mounted to the tool box and these other
two black wires arent groundsor maybe they get ground from the grounded
pump body and pass it along somewhere else?

I have an electrical schematic in my service manual but it doesnt really
show how anything is connected with any reference to the wiring harness.

Did I guess correctly on these two black wires?

Is there a better electrical layout picture available somewhere on-line?

Old Rookie