Re: TD Radiator Support Bushings

To: blair@ifd.mv.com
Subject: Re: TD Radiator Support Bushings
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:52:13 -0400
Blair,
  When I removed the radiator first time there was one set above and one
set below the cross member.  That's how I replaced them and the radiator
shell remained in same position relative to the splash apron, which, I
suspect, it would not have done with the rubber grommets in the wrong
place.
   Installation of them can be tricky.  The rubbers eventually squeeze to
fit snug in the rings, but if they are loose to start with, a small spot
of glue will help to hold the rings on until the rubbers expand to hold
them in place.
  The nuts can be hard to reach with a wrench.  I taped a piece of thin
cardboard onto the splash apron to protect its paint, then used wood
house shingles to raise the radiator so that the nuts could be reached by
sliding wrench between bottom of rad shell and the splash apron's
cardboard.  As the nuts screwed upward to the point where the wrench
could not meet them, I gradually withdrew the shingles to maintain
access.
   If the radiator is in a different position after installation, you may
need to adjust the turnbuckle ends of the stay rods to maintain proper
alignment with the edge of the bonnet.
Bob