Re: [Mg-t] Fouled Spark Plugs

To: "Nels Anderson" <nels@flightsim.com>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Fouled Spark Plugs
From: "Clive Sherriff" <clive.sherriff@ntlworld.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:16:13 +0100
Nels,

A few things spring to mind -

1 Is your cylinder head a later one that needs 3/4 in reach plugs not the
1/2 inch of the L82xx plugs?

2 Though the carbs have been rebuilt, did you just bolt them on and go, or
did you fit them and then carefully set them up correctly by adjusting fuel
mix, balancing them etc?

3 When you say "black material" I assume you means a fine carbon deposit
which would be the result of too rich a fuel mixture.  On the other hand if
its a thicker oily deposit it would lead me to think the pistons and rings
are shot, and/or the cylinder walls are worn /scoured and a rebore is
needed. In the latter case you would probably also be getting a bit of blue
smoke from the exhaust too.

Clive
Oxford, UK