RE: MGB-GT V8 engine choice

To: "'Glen R. Wilson'" <GlenWilson@worldnet.att.net>, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MGB-GT V8 engine choice
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 15:44:08 -0800
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Glen,

I believe the 1980 SD1 engine with the "Federal" style injection (with the
flat plenum) will clear the MGB bonnet if mounted correctly, however the
Euro style SD1 injection plenum will not clear without modifications.  Ken
Costello has developed a modified Euro plenum similar to the one used on the
MG RV8, this has a sloping front that will clear the bonnet.

The reason SD1 exhaust manifolds will not work is not that the manifolds
won't clear when you bolt them up to the engine, rather the problem is with
the A-pipes clearing the MGB frame rails.  Stock cast iron MGB-GT V-8
manifolds use a pinched in section that hugs the block and puts the A-pipe
flange below the frame rails.  When installing the engine, you need to stop
with the block still off its mounts and finagle these manifolds in place,
then lower the engine all the way into the bay (they are THAT tight!)  These
stock GT V-8 manifolds are really ugly and also rare as hen's teeth.

The other possibility is to use the RV8 style headers, which put the exhaust
out through the fenderwells, but this involves cutting and forming the
fenderwells and can also be really ugly if not done right.

I have no info on 'Murrican carburetor and manifold clearances, since I have
a Factory V-8 I have never had to worry about them.

Hope this helps,
Paul Kile