Fans and HP

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Fans and HP
From: Jack Emery <jemery@mint.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 20:46:29 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I agree with Glen, the rubber fans will cool fine if used with an engine
driven fan.  We repair them in the car by removing the mesh grill and
drilling the hole.  Then I use a baby's ear syringe with 80-90w gear oil to
squirt in the hole.  Silicone that sucker up and away you go.

On my '67 I use a 16 inch 2100 cfm puller fan without an engine fan and it
works VERY well.  A 2700cfm would be the hot setup.

I have a G-Tech meter, but no cig lighter in the '67.  Before snow I will
hook it in and make a few runs in 10 degree air to see how much power it
says I make.  My car at 2500 pounds with my fat ass and a bunch of luggage
and tools in the trunk including a cooler on the passenger floor does 14.5
at 94mph in the quarter.  This was at the TRF summer bash.  It was hot!!
Empty it weighs 2060 on a certified scale.  And is a bunch quicker with the
trunk empty.

The formula says it makes about 161 horsepower at the rear wheels.  Engine
is .040 over, 0 decked, 9.6 pistons, Crower 228 cam.  Idles at 500 like
Grandmas Electra 225.  Pulls good in the first 3 gears but kinda numbs up a
little in 4th and 5th.  With a 2.8 stroke you need 3.50 gears in the rear
to let it run.  I have 3.0's in the Green car and 3.08's in the Red car.
They are both geared for the freeways.  I drove a V-8 coupled to a B trans
with C overdrive and gears. With 3.73's and tall tires, a very nice
package.  With a Rover tranny the best Ford rear gear is a 3.40 with 14
inch tires.  With a B-MGC rear 3.31's.  These are my opinions, subject to
change.  Gearing is totally dependent on application.  I travel too many
interstate miles to carry drag racing gears.  My old '55 Chev with the 301
carried 4.11's and needed more.  Times do change.

I do not see any real VooDoo needed to make 200HP.  Compression and
porting, just like any engine.  The heads really suck or maybe the problem
is that they don't.  My Case tractor has better ports.
Jack Emery
Glenburn Maine
'67 MGB V-8
'75 MGB V-8