Re: Quick fan / radiatior question

To: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Quick fan / radiatior question
From: Glenn Towery <mgv8glen@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 08:18:23 -0800
Cc: Wake074@aol.com, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Jim Stuart wrote:

> Forget the fans, but get the radiator if it is 1977 or later. Bring a
>sawsall, &
> cut out the radiator side mounts. I like the power assisted brakes & installed
> them on my '74. You will need the complete pedal assembly, all the brake line
> you can access, to splice into the existing, & if possible, the bit of metal
>the
> pedal box bolts to, or at least a paper pattern.  Late model cars have a
>switch
> on the emergency brake lever to light a warning lite on the dash telling you
>the
> brake is on. Not difficult to add to an early car, get the entire lever
> assembly. Later cars have reinforced doors for side impact. Direct swap &
>safer.
> They also have hinges that hold the doors open when pushed betond a certain
> point. Keeps the door from closing on your leg while you get in in some
> circumstances. If you do not have a day/nite mirror, grab one. Heater motor
>will
> be a 2 speed if you need one. If the windshild is good, you can always use a
> spare. Lights, lights, lights. Bonnet will have more arch than an early car
>for
> air cleaner clearance.
>
> Jim Stuart
> 2 V8's & a '68 Bronco
>
> Wake074@aol.com wrote:
>
> > I'm going to make a road trip up to NC on Saturday to pick up a used RB
> > steering assembly, and thought I would pick up any additional RB parts while
> > I was there.  It is quite a drive, but the parts are pretty cheap.  Is there
> > anything else I should snag off a RB parts car, since I really don't want to
> > away from the point of researching the cooling side of this project, so a
> > simple yes or no will suffice.
> >
> > As a followup to a previous question, I managed to get the brass freeze plug
> > out that I drilled the hole in.  I ended up beating it back into the block,
> > and then I could pull it out.
> >
> > Thanks again,
> >
> > Glenn
> >
> > Happy that he finally has purchased something for this project and had it
> > work out well.  My $50 Hurst shifter came today, shipped in the original box
> > with instructions.
You will need a late stearing rack, the shaft is 1 1/2"  longer & will
need to cut it to make fit were the exhaust manafold bolt clears the
U-joint. There is nothing wrong with the 77-80 colling fans IF you drill
1/8 hole in the back of the case were you can grease the back bushing &
fill the hole with R T V to stop water from getting in. I have over
500,000 miles on these motors with this mod. & not a problem one & it
cools my 4.9.            Glenn