Re: Pilot bearing location

To: bown@concentric.net
Subject: Re: Pilot bearing location
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 19:49:41 -0500
Cc: "'Kevin & Deana Brown'" <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>, "'MGV8 list'" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Jim-

No, the stock Buick 4 speed has a coarse spline input shaft, about 12 splines, I
think, common with most of the older 4 & 5 speed trannies such as the T-50. The
S-10 clutch is 10 1/4", the Camero is an inch bigger, with stronger springs.
Even the S-10 clutch, which I am using with a 4.2 L Rover & T-5 tranny is more
clutch than I need in my GT. It won't slip in any gear at any attainable rpm (up
to 6800), & is not as light as the 9" I had with a T-50 transmission. It is, in
my opinion, the best you can do at a modest cost & same day availability. These
are important considerations to me, driving the car as my (almost) only
transportation. For a weekend driver, a more custom unit may be possible. There
apparently are clutch shops that will custom build anything you want, & someone
mentioned a year or so ago, that there was a 9" Mercedes clutch plate with the
correct splines.

Hope this helps.

Jim Stuart