T% Words of Wisdom

To: MGV8 list <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: T% Words of Wisdom
From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 13:10:48 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I went to replace the front seal on my T5 transmission before bolting up
to the Buick 215 (it probably didn't need it but I figured it to be a
good idea).  Anyway, once I had it bolted up the input shaft wouldn't
turn.  It would budge at all until I had backed off the bolts quite a
bit and even then it wouldn't turn all of the way.  When I first removed
the front cover, the input shaft pulled out a little ways and I'm afraid
that there are some needle bearing inside (where the main shaft goes in
to the input shaft) that have dropped out and jammed, but I do not have
a workshop manual on the transmission.  Does any one have any words of
wisdom??  I'm going to go pull the top cover and see if there is
something that I can see from there (like how to remove the input
shaft).  I also need torque settings for the front cover and now the top
cover bolts.  I also need to know what fluid should be used in the
transmission (gear oil, ATF??) and how much (since I don't think that
the overflow plug will be correctly positioned since the transmission
will be level now.  The tranny is from an '84 V8 Camaro.  Thanks and
Happy Thanksgiving to those that will be celebrating it.  Sunny and 50
degrees here in Missouri!

Kevin Brown
Odessa, MO