Rover 5 speed Transmission troubles

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net, afhuber@aol.com
Subject: Rover 5 speed Transmission troubles
From: Rick Huber <rickhuber1@home.com>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 19:10:58 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hi again gang,

Again, the engine / transmission are from an 80 TR8, so standard Rover 5 speed.

Back from the ol business trip and out troubleshooting the MG again tonight.
Funny, but the 1st, 3rd, 5th synchronizer problems I had last weekend seem to be
healing if that's possible.  At least the problem is intermittent now instead of
permanent.  I drove around for a few minutes and symptoms were the same,
wouldn't go into the "forward"  three gears.   2nd and 4th continue to work
normally. Then I tried doing some clutchless shifting, and  that worked fine for
3rd, but not 5th.  At a stop sign, won't go into 1st or 3rd except after cycling
through reverse.  5th not at all.  Drive a bit more, and 1st and 3rd started
working again.  After trying clutchless shifting into 5th a few times and
grinding a bit, 5th started working again.  The next stop light, I went through
all 5 gears normally.  Rather strange.  Still thinking it's synchronizer
related.  Is there a connection between the synchronizers for 1st 3rd and 5th ?
Is it reasonable for them to work sometimes and not other ?

I'm going to put it up in the air and check fluid level in the morning and
continue trying to figure it out.  Any help with would be appreciated.

Safety faster in a V8,

Rick