RE: Cooling fans

To: jimbb88@erols.com, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Cooling fans
From: "Matt Diamond" <mgb_69@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 00:58:06 -0000
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hello all, once again!

Jim asked some what seems to very valid questions which I had not thought of
including in the original request for sharing of your knowledge.

78 MGB
1980-81 Rover 3.5
original MGB twin fans

Items that I am unsure of follows.....

radiator - Although I do not have a late model B to compare, it looks
similar to the late model B radiator with the exception of having a cap on
the top tank.  I appears that it might have been added to it.  It does bolt
right in where the original one was.  It measure about 18 by 18 inches.

water pump - it is just under 3.5 inches from the timing cover mounting
point to the back of where the collar of the pulley mounting flange is on
the pump shaft.  The top hose connection does angle downwards a bit.  There
are some numbers stamped upside down on the front of the housing.  From what
I can make out, it looks to be 31180.  It also has some kind of circle
within a circle marking stamped on it as well.  It currently has a rather
thick 2 inch deep double pulley on it.  The pulley is not recessed back over
the mounting flange at all. It actually is made to be a bit forward of the
flange by a quarter of an inch roughly.  That brings the current pulley
within an inch or so from the radiator.

timing cover - believed to be original Rover at this point in time.

It is currently cooled by original twin fans.  One of which does seem to
have some internal resistance to turning by hand and does squeak.  The fans
seem to be doing the job at present, but I am not sure the sending unit is
matched to the MGB gauge.  I will have to run it up to operating temps and
check it with a thermometer I guess to be on the safe side.

Thanks again for any ideas,

Matt