1980 MGB/215/T5

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1980 MGB/215/T5
From: "David Kirkman" <mg.kirkman@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 14:22:25 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I have had this project car in my heated garage for almost 2 years, and have
just been able to install the engine and tranny.  The engine is a Buick 215
and I am using the T-5 from a Camero.  Engine was rebuilt by Dan Lagru and the
T-5 came from his shop.  All parts fit together just fine.  My problem is the
hugger headers will not attach the the engine as the left side sits solidly on
the steering column and the right side hugger headers actually sit on the
frame rail.  The transmission sits near the rear crossmember with less than
3/4" of play from the crossmember to the transmission tunnel.  The D & D
Fabrications supplied transmission crossmember, when attached to the rear
portion of the  transmission, does not bolt up to the frame as there is at
least 1 inch on both sides, thus the transmission is sitting too low. (or the
suppied crossmember is not correctly aligned and is to tall).  I was told to
take out the engine and transmission and bang on the transmission tunnel where
I now see that the top part of the transmission housing is  indeed touching
the tunnel.  On a 1980 there is a lapped ridge that is about 3/4" wide that
joins the tunnel to the front part of the engine bay.  It looks like I need to
cut out that ridge the width of the top of the transmission casing.  Also,
should I alter the rear crossmember that the transmission sits on top of?  It
looks like to me, if I can get the rear of the transmission down to where it
bolts to the supplied crossmember properly, the engine should tilt up toward
the front of the bay and allow the headers to fit properly.  I know this is a
lot, but does anyone have experience with the D & D Fabrications supplied
crossmember, World Class T-5 tranny and hugger headers to a Buick 215?  I
really like the set up, but I probably wasn't listening when they told me to
modify the tunnel, etc.  Any help would be appreciated.  I told Dan that I am
very close to completion and want to make Pidgeon Forge!

Thanks

Big Daddy Kirkman  (Dave)