Re: Thermostat

To: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Subject: Re: Thermostat
From: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 18:42:47 -0800
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
3/8/03

James,

        If this theory is true it certainly goes directly against my
understanding.  The hotter the coolant is, the hotter every other part of
the engine is also, I would think.  This means the entire intake system
would also be hotter.  My thought is that this higher temperature would
warm up the incoming charge of fuel/air mixture more, thus causing it to
expand and lose density more than it would in a cooler condition.  Then
there would be less actual mixture (mass) in the cylinder, so less power
would be produced.  This lower density charge however, combined with
quicker vaporization of the fuel, ought to improve fuel economy slightly--a
trade off for the power loss.
        Just my -2 BHP.

Cheers,
Dave Kernberger