Wheel offsets

To: "v8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wheel offsets
From: "james" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 22:06:05 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
List, a few weeks ago someone on the mgs list asked what offset was
recommended for aftermarket wheels and myself, among others, commented that
most of the recommended wheels are between 22 and 28 mm positive offset.  I
have a set but have not yet mounted them on my V8.  While poking about on my
stock B I measured the offset of a steel wheel and was surprised to find that
it was about 40mm offset.  This makes me curious about something.  It seems
that most interference problems come from the wheels rubbing the fender lips,
which would be aggravated by a wheel with less offset, why is it then that
most of the aftermarket wheels getting used are of less offset then the stock
wheels? Can anyone comment from actual fitments of non stock wheels under
stock bodywork?

James Nazarian
71B Tourer
71BGT V8