Re: leaded fuels

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: leaded fuels
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 00:11:33 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I may have missed something here since the topic has turned to octane, but
my understanding is that fuel doesn't matter.  As I understand it, lead
lubricated valve seats and stems.  Since the BOPR engines are aluminum they
have hardened valve seats installed in the heads as new since aluminum is
not a suitable valve seat material.  Similarly, the heads had cast iron (?)
guides pressed in for the same reasons, as such, I am not aware of any
special requirements for these engines.

Can anyone prove this thesis?

James Nazarian
71 MGB Tourer