Re: leaded fuels

To: "Howard Fitzcharles III" <hmfinc@bellsouth.net>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: leaded fuels
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:01:02 +0100
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
As another has said lead provides the 'lubricant' for valve seats and faces
to prevent recession, unleaded has none (in Europe at least) hence the
availability of anti-recession additives, some of which contain an octane
booster, but octane boosting is a separate subject to lubrication.  The
Rover V8, unlike the 4-cylinder engine, is *extremely* resistant to
pinking/pinging.

Rover would never state that their 70s V8 engines will run unleaded without
damage as they never tested them for recession, unleaded not being available
at the time.  Current heads, and those made for the past 20 years, were
certified for unleaded as it became available.  However someone of my
acquaintance with a great deal of experience with V8 engines over many years
(in fact his injected V8 roadster was the model for the RV8) studied the
materials used in the 70s and found they were "of the type that would be
used to prevent valve seat recession when using unleaded".  I have been
using my V8 for the past eight years and 65k, most of which has been on fast
motorway miles, with no detectable head or seat recession.

PaulH.