RE: drive shaft phasing

To: <CraigFaubel@aol.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: drive shaft phasing
From: "Jim Stuart" <vze3swyy@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 23:06:46 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Calculating the angle is pretty simple but you need an angle finder. This is
a 360` wheel & pointer mounted on a magnetic base. They are available at
some parts houses & also lumber yards & home centers. The pointer always
points straight down, & the scale shows the relative angle to whatever the
base is against. Put the base against the end of the transmission and at the
end of the diff housing or flange. The difference between the 2 angles
ideally will be 2-5 degrees. You need some angle to rotate the bearings in
the U-joints, but not so much as to cause undue rotation & premature U-joint
failure. This in not rocket science, but will give very accurate measure
using a $10.00 tool.

Search the archives for many more references. Be sure to have the drive
shaft balanced.