Re: Roller Lifters

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Roller Lifters
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 23:33:38 -0500
Cc: James Nazarian <jhn3@uakron.edu>, "T. S. White" <tswrace@pacbell.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
A roller-cam is typically more agressive, with regards to rise and fall time. I believe that a roller-lifter could easily work on a less agressive profile (stock cam), for the same reason a highly tuned autocross car can easily drive on the interstate highway system as well as a lazy Lincoln or Caddy can, but the reverse is not true. Because the bottom of a roller lifter is radiused (and rolls) it can approach a steep slope with aplomb, but nothing prevents it from also traversing a cam that is worn to the point of being nearly flat. A flat tappet is far more limited in the profile of cam it can approach. A lobe that a roller could glide over could conceivably slam into the side of a conventional lifter and sieze up the entire valvetrain.
So part of my original question was: Since a roller lifter can handle a normal cam, does the reduced friction of a roller lifter offer any performance/durability gains over a regular lifter on the same cam? If it frees up another 10 HP, or allows me another 30K miles before a regrind, for example, I may look into developing the idea further. It's well established that roller rockers free up a few ponies and increase the life of the valvetrain, and they only introduce friction during one stroke of the 4-stroke cycle. Cam lifters are constantly intruducing friction as the cam is always rotating underneath them, and I believe the contact patch is much larger, so it seams like an area for investigation. Then again the oil-film on the cam lobes could reduce friction to levels below what the rocker tips generate moving across the valve stem, if that area has worse lubrication. I honestly don't know, which is why I was asking. Perhaps Detroit concluded that it didn't, or that it did, but wasn't cost effective.

JJJ

///
/// mgb-v8@autox.team.net mailing list
/// Send admin requests to majordomo@autox.team.net
/// Send list postings to mgb-v8@autox.team.net
/// Edit your replies! If they include this trailer, they will NOT be sent.