Re: Shortening Replacement Valves for the 300 heads.

To: Greg Myer <motorhead45@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Shortening Replacement Valves for the 300 heads.
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:05:01 -0500
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Greg,
My bad, I should have put the link in. It is:
http://www.techlinecoatings.com/engine.htm

It looks like all the aftermarket valves I see have a hardened tip welded on the end. The majority of the valves (aftermarket) are Stainless Steel, and they have a hardened tool-steel tip welded(brazed?) on. I wonder if the valve is cut down beyond the hardened insert, if the remaining stainless tip can be case-hardened? I used to have a material that I would use to harden gun parts, like the lugs on a bolt, but I'll have to see if that works on stainless. Can any stainless be hardened? I know it tends to be harder than mild steel, but these valve companies are still putting tool steel tips on them, which must tell me something. Any metalurgists here?
I also noticed that exhaust valves (aftermarket performance ones) tend to have a 0.001 taper to the shaft to allow for thermal expansion. Because of the small nature of the Buick/Rover heads, it seems like many folks are using exhaust valves from bigger engines for our intake valves. Would/has that taper ever caused a problem on an intake valve that won't see the same thermal gradient?
Any thoughts?

James J.

Greg Myer wrote:

James,
Hardening of the tips is a good idea. Some Ford valves use
a hardened
tip that is welded on . They are 11/32 stem diameters too. I'd check at
a machine shop.
All the information on the thermal barriers that I've seen has
been positive. I think that for an aluminum engine it's even better
than for cast iron. Treated combustion chambers and valves, even exhaust ports are going to help internal efficiency. Is your source local
or is there a link you could share with us ? I'm interested !
Happy Motoring, Greg