Re: Shortening Replacement Valves for the 300 heads. - Stainless Steel

To: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Subject: Re: Shortening Replacement Valves for the 300 heads. - Stainless Steel
From: Glenn <g_wakefield@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 07:02:20 -0800 (PST)
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I knew that I was going to have a use for this PE
review manual sitting on my desk.  Keep in mind that
this is all just wonderful theory from a book.  My
practical knowledge of your application is zero.

"Ferritic stainless steels, grouped with the AISI 400
specification, containing 12 to 27% chromium.  The
body centered cubic ferrite structure is stable....for
this reason, ferritic steels can not be hardened
significantly."

"Martensitic (heat-treatable) stainless steel (also
part of the 400 series (405, 430, and 446) contain no
nickel and differ from ferretic stainless steels
primarily in higher carbon contents.   Cutlery and
surgical instruments are typical applications
requiring both corrosion resistance and hardness)."
The chart in the book lists 420 and 440C has being
hardenable by heat treatment.

"Austnitic stainless steels are commonly used for
general corrosive applications...Basic composition is
18% chromium and 8% nickel...302B and 310 are
hardenable by cold working".

There is also a series of "duplex" stainless steels
that definitely fall into the high-tech / expensive
category.  We occasionally use them at work for high
corrosion resistance.

My text lists many different methods of surface
hardening.  If memory serves me correct, you mentioned
case hardening gun parts which I think is done via
"carburizing".  My text says this can be done with
steels less than .2% carbon.  Most of the ferretic and
austenitic stainless steels are less than .2% carbon.
If you intend to surface harden using another method,
I'll poke around and see what my books have to say.

Hope this helps.

Glenn
'73MGB V8, resting for the winter.