Re: aluminum head damage - again

To: craigfaubel@sbcglobal.net, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: aluminum head damage - again
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:36:28 EST
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Craig,

I haven't been able to find anything out about this either, but I can tell
you how I solved a similar dilemma awhile back myself. When I bought my TR6, I
was told a) you must use a lead additive or else valve recession will
destroy your heads in short order, and b) don't worry about it, your heads will
 be
just fine.

I wasn't about to spend the money and go to the trouble of measuring out
lead additive each time I gassed up, and I wasn't about to spend the money for
hardened valve seat inserts if I didn't need to. I decided to forget the
additive and just drive the car. If it turns out the valves did recede, than I
would spend the money and have hardened inserts installed. If not, then I was
only out the money of a new head gasket and the labor involved in pulling the
head and checking the valves after a reasonable time to see. Turns out I
didn't need the additive or the inserts, the valves were just fine  without.

I would do the same thing in your case. Whatever damage is done, if any, is
done now and nothing can change that. I'd just put them on and see what
happens.  Better to spend a little money for a new head gasket and a little
time to
check  the heads from time to time than just give up and blow the $1200 now.
If the  heads aren't damaged, then you'll be fine. If they are, you can spend
the  replacement money later. I can't imagine any damage done to the rest of
your  engine if the heads should be damaged.

Unless, of course, you learn something definitive in the meantime, or
someone more knowledgeable than me gives you a good reason not to try  them.

Regards,

Dan