Re: S10 Rear from D&D

To: Wayne Kube <wkube@augustmail.com>, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: S10 Rear from D&D
From: Glenn <g_wakefield@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:35:40 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Wayne & Others,

Thanks for the detailed responses.

Ideally I would find someone who could sell me a rearend fully ready to go with
brake lines, emergency break, any necessary wheel modifications etc.  I've
already got a custom drive shaft that I know I'll have to have modified no
matter what direction I choose to go.

I'm currently working so many hours, that I want to find a rearend that I can
swap in a day with minimal frustrations.  I don't want to screw around for days
/ weeks on end sourcing various parts.

It sounds like the S10 is the closest option to what I'm looking for.  I
haven't found anyone yet that sells custom Ford rear-ends set-up for the MGB
all ready to be installed.

Thanks,

Glenn

Wayne Kube <wkube@augustmail.com> wrote:
You'll also need to bend a new set of brake lines for the rear end. The S10
uses double flares on the wheel cylinders, but the tee fitting (MGB style) has
a bubble flare (IIRC). Other than that, it's a straight bolt-in. Of course,
you will need a new drive (prop) shaft - but you'll likely be doing that
anyway. D&D provided that as part of the system (bell housing, T-5 tranny,
etc.).

We did encounter one other issue that may or may not affect you. Mark
purchased true Mini-Lite wheels (not the K-N replicas). Note that on the S10
axle there is a flange on the outer face of the axle that centers the brake
drum. This flange extends from the face (the wheel mounting surface) by about
3/8 inch. The diameter of this flange is greater than the diameter of the
center hole in the Mini-Lites, and extends far enough so that the mounting
surface on the wheels would not contact the face of the brake drum (where the
lug bolts are) on the axle. Not a good thing.