Re: 300 heads on 215 Olds block = Coolant in the oil - If you do not pre

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 300 heads on 215 Olds block = Coolant in the oil - If you do not prepare the block for this set up
From: Bill Zenkus <mgb_zenkus@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 17:01:23 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Here is an update on this combination... (Sometimes the lessons are
frustrating)...

Hopefully my "school of HARD KNOCKS" lessons will benifit those of you putting
this combination together.

The Olds 215 block has steam holes near the intake (top) side of the cylinders.

The Olds 215 block will have an issue with the buick 300 head gaskets which are
required if using the 300 heads. The issue is the center two steam holes are
only half covered by the gasket. This means the coolant passages have an
opening which allows coolant to go directly under the valley cover and into the
oil!

I reviewed this with Mark at D&D, and he confirmed this issue will only exist
with the Olds Block as the Buick and Rover blocks do not have these steam holes
so will not have this issue.

To correct this issue on the Olds block, I have tapped and plugged the steam
holes.

The holes are 7/64" in diameter.
A 1/4" tap and eight 1/4" set screws coated with teflon plumbers paste seems to
have worked very nicely.

Currently my heads, oil pan, oil pump, oil pick up, valve covers, valley cover
are ready to go to the shop for a hot tank bath. I will wash down and flush out
the internals of the engine with Marvel Mystery Oil.  Once I put the oil parts
back on the engine, I will spin the oil pump  to force the Marvel Mystery Oil
throughout the system to complete the clensing of coolant.

Then I will presure check the coolant passages. If good, Then will complete
reassembly of the engine and test run. Hopefully, I am going to enjoy this
spring, summer and fall  with my MGB.

Bill Zenkus <mgb_zenkus@yahoo.com> wrote:
Must use the 300 Head gaskets when putting this combination together.

Upon investigating root cause of gasket failure after 80 miles, turns out the
215 gasket places the combustion seal (metal ring meant to protect gasket
material) completely inside the head opening, thus explodiing on the gasket
material itself and destroyinh the gasket.

The 300 head gasket places the combustion seal properly between the head and
block so it is compressed and does its' job of protecting the gasket.

Bill.