Re: Running hot under load during hot (90F degrees+) days

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Running hot under load during hot (90F degrees+) days
From: James Jewell <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:04:57 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
To the best of my knowledge, surfactants (Water Wetter, dish detergent) make a measurable difference. Even though it is just a few molecules thick, the boundary region is critical and can determine whether or not local boiling takes place. In any system where there is the potential that petrochemicals (oil) can contaminate your cooling system, and coat the base metal, surfactants are even more important. Considering how cheap they are, it's a no-brainer in my book, and it certainly does no harm.

As I had posted awhile back, there is nothing magical about temperature numbers, in and of themselves or relative to the engine block (read the exception below). It's temperature relative to the boiling point of the fluid. If you have any of the 215/3.5L displacement BOPR's, or any other strong V8 (Ford, Chevy, etc.) you can switch your coolant completely over to Propylene Glycol, which doesn't boil until 300 or 400 Deg F. and stop worrying about your temp gauge altogether. However, if you have a 3.9, 4.0, 4.2 or 4.6 litre Rover block, the walls are just too thin, and the higher temps will likely crack the block behind the cylinder liner, so you must keep your temps under 190 Deg F., regardless of the coolant you use.

James J.

Barrie Robinson wrote:
Bill,

Further to my previous email......

I have not seen any reliable data on the use of 'water-wetter'. All it does is break down surface tension of the water and this removes a minuscule 'blanket' of molecules. The difference I suspect is not measurable.

Have you ceramic coated your exhaust manifold ?