squealing cooling fan motor bearings

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: squealing cooling fan motor bearings
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 19:24:35 -0500
The cooling system on the B includes 2 electric motors that spin their own fan
blade.  The bearings on these motors have failed in that they now both make
this obnoxious squealing.  I've taken these guys apart and tossed in sone axle
grease in an attempt to quiet them.  Well, this worked for about a month and
now squeal as loudly as ever.  Any one know of a fix short of purchasing new
motors

I have a car-buddy in Radford VA who claims that Bluebird bus fans work
great - and I gather they can be sourced cheaply.  Since I don't have
anything newer than a '76, I haven't pursued it.

Allen "B"

Allen H. Bachelder, Associate Professor of Trumpet
                                         =iii=<
Department of Music, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061-0240
E-mail: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu, Phone: 703-231-6713,  Fax 703-231-5034