Re: squealing cooling fan motor bearings

To: Steve Manzi <manzi@cambridge.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: squealing cooling fan motor bearings
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 12:43:58 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 23 Feb 1995, Steve Manzi wrote:
> I'm an owner of an 80 mgb that hasn't given me any big problems but a ton of
> small ones.  Here's one ...
>
> The cooling system on the B includes 2 electric motors that spin their own fan
> blade.  The bearings on these motors have failed in that they now both make
> this obnoxious squealing.  I've taken these guys apart and tossed in sone axle
> --
> Steve

I believe they use the same bushings as Lucas electric heater fan
motors.  These may be avialable.  Also, you might consider to have some
bushings made up at your favorite machine shop.  Apart from that, new
motors are the only other way.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6