Re: MGs in the press

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mgs)
Subject: Re: MGs in the press
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 08:51:34 -0600 (CST)
Will Zehring writes:
> [ about the magazine article which declares: ]
> "From there it was all downhill.  Through 1972 these cars were still quite
> pure, but in 1973 a pair of smoggalble SUHIF carbs replaced the traditional
> units and power fell to 78.5 horses.

Oh, come now.  Are the HIF4s really that inferior to the HS4s?  They're
both, what, 1.5 inches?  What's the big drawback?  Poppet valves in the
throttle plates?  Late HS4s had these, too, and they've all been soldered
shut by now.  The spring-loaded needle?  One less thing to adjust is a
win in my book.  Less mixture adjustment range?  This can be cured by
using appropriate needles.  The basic design is the same, and I find the
integrated float chamber a more elegant package than the outboard bowls.
But if you tell me that a pair of HS4s net a performance gain over my
HIF4s, then I'll consider it.

> Big rubber bumper overriders came in
> '74

Does anybody want a set of these?

--

Todd Mullins
todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil     On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Sport Tourer with "smoggable" HIF4s