Re: MGs in the press

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mgs)
Subject: Re: MGs in the press
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 14:52:33 -0500
John M. Trindle writes:
> Do soldering shut the poppet valves really help?  They're still in the
> way, aren't they?  And that's where any real power loss would be, I would
> think.

Todd Mullins responds:

Oh, sorry.  A bit of careless wordsmithing on my part.  What I meant to
convey is the process of _ripping the valves out_ and soldering the
resultant holes shut.  The PO, or somebody, did this to my HIFs.  There
is no obstruction.

> What about getting solid plates instead of tacking the valves closed?

This would work, too

I thought one purpose in soldering the poppets was to keep the engine from
swallowing them when they come loose - with catastrophic results!
Comments, anybody?

Allen