Re: SU carb styles

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mgs)
Subject: Re: SU carb styles
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 15:21:45 -0600 (CST)
A. B. Bonds writes:
> [ ... ] HIF's should last longer.  You don't have to replace the
> jets every so often due to hose wear or failure, and they have those
> nice seals on the throttle shafts to mitigate the effects of the
> ubiquitous wear.  [ ... ]

Oh, yes, I forgot another possible advantage to HIFs:  the throttle
return springs.  Please, correct me if I'm wrong (in fact, that's a
standing invitation), but the HIF carbs utilize a concentric spring,
wound around the throttle shafts themselves, that the HS versions do
without.  The HSs rely on the linear return spring, which puts side
wear.

Now, here's a question I've not yet found an answer to:  should the HIFs
have one of these linear springs, acting as an auxiliary to the
concentric one?  I've seen some HIF-equipped 'Bs with them, but I
haven't found an authoritative answer.  The Moss and Victoria British
catalogs present contradicting information on the subject.  I currently
do not use a linear spring, relying solely on the concentric springs,
and my throttle is very light, yet always fully returns.

(The HIF's choke assembly has a similar arrangement, for which I ask a
similar question.)

--

Todd Mullins
todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil     On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Sport Tourer with linear springs lying dormant in the boot