Re: Brake squeal

To: Glenn Schnittke <glenns@edge.ercnet.com>
Subject: Re: Brake squeal
From: dirk.deboer@usask.ca
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 09:36:21 -0600 (CST)
On Mon, 13 Mar 1995, Glenn Schnittke wrote:

> I've been experiencing some strange stuff from the brake area of the B that
> I can't quite figure. Brake squeal & grind. Once in a while when I step on
> the brakes, I hear and feel a clunk, I think from the front, and then a
> grinding noise while coming to a stop. The front pads & rotors were replaced
> last fall, the rear shoes last summer.

Glenn: the first thing I would check is whether all your brake components
are still secure. Start with the front, since that is where the noise
appears to come from. Perhaps one of the brake pad retaining clips came
off or, worse, a caliper bolt might be loose. A little squeal is o.k.,
you can always quiet it down with some anti-squeal on the back of the pads,
but a grinding noise is to be investigated right away.

Dirk