Slow Oil Pressure

To: grohoski@futserv.austin.ibm.com
Subject: Slow Oil Pressure
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 11:21:41 -0500 (EST)
Greg,

I have the exact same problem with my B... 30 seconds or so before oil
pressure starts moving up when cold.  I just finished a rebuild.

I don't think the oil pump is the problem, since 1) I assume you
re-gasketed it when re-installing, and 2) oil pressure is fine once you
get going (yes?)

My theories so far are 1) You need a valve in the oil filter to prevent
all the oil from draining back when sitting overnight... in other words,
it takes time to fill the filter and lines before you see oil pressure.
2) there may be some air in the oil sensor line from the rebuild.

I had evidence of #2 for the first few days but don't think it is true
any more.  My symptom was a sudden jump down, then up, in the pressure
reading.  However, I did notice that the valve clatter noise did change
when my pressure reading went up (after the initial 30 seconds) and the
overrun relay would click over (it's attached to an oil pressure
switch).  So I think the reading is real.

I'm interested in hearing answers to this one, as it worries... it takes
about 10 seconds when the car hasn't been sitting long, BTW.

John M. Trindle     | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB E Strt Prep | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"The Unapplicable Law:
   Washing your car to make it rain doesn't work."