Re: Slow Oil Pressure

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Slow Oil Pressure
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 13:42:19 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 14 Mar 1995, Galen Work wrote:

> > My theories so far are 1) You need a valve in the oil filter to prevent
> > all the oil from draining back when sitting overnight... in other words,
> > it takes time to fill the filter and lines before you see oil pressure.
> > 2) there may be some air in the oil sensor line from the rebuild.
>
> I don't know anything about air in the lines, but the oil pressure sensor on
> my '64 B goes up immediately just turning the engine over.  I don't remember
> seeing, or reading about a valve of sorts on the filter.  Then again, it's
> amazing my engine retains oil, let alone pressurizes it.

I'm pretty certain the oil filter on a '64 is of a different design than
a '73 with oil cooler.  I use a spin-on filter which screws DOWN onto the
seat, while it looks as if the original filter (without the oil cooler
adapter) screws UP (at a 45 degree angle or so) into the block.

If it did this, oil would pool into the filter when the engine was not
running.

I do regret mentioning the "air in the lines" bit, as it wasn't relevent
(I think I pointed that out in the next paragraph).

I'm glad your '64 gives pressure right away!  How many miles on the
current rebuild?

John M. Trindle     | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB D Strt Prep | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock