Re: Slow Oil Pressure

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mgs)
Subject: Re: Slow Oil Pressure
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 10:04:50 -0600 (CST)
dirk.deboer@usask.ca writes:
> On Tue, 14 Mar 1995, John M. Trindle wrote
>
> > I'm pretty certain the oil filter on a '64 is of a different design than
> > a '73 with oil cooler.  I use a spin-on filter which screws DOWN onto the
> > seat, while it looks as if the original filter (without the oil cooler
> > adapter) screws UP (at a 45 degree angle or so) into the block.
>
> John: there is your problem. The filter drains when the engine stops, and
> when you start it the filter has to be filled up before pressure can
> build up.

Any decent filter should contain an anti-drainback valve to prevent this
problem.  I have heard that the standard Fram-type filter is a bit
lax in this department (I have no hard facts); I suggest you run down to
your local British (Phlegm-Sucking) Leyland dealer and lay down the
pounds for a factory filter.  ;)  Seriously, perhaps the filters that
Moss/TRF sell are better than the Pep Boys/Auto Zone/WalMart variety?

> I seem to remember you can get a kit which solves this problem. I'll take
> a look at my catalogs tonight. I think you substitute the original part
> by one which allows the filter to hang down.

According to the catalogs, B(PS)L built some '71-'74 MGBs with hanging
filters.  Perhaps you could scavenge these factory parts from a parts
car somewhere and screw them into your block.

--

Todd Mullins
todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil     On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Sport Tourer with upside-down filter