Re: overdrive

To: ROG <ST931244@PIP.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: overdrive
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 16:07:34 -0500
At 08:47 PM 3/26/95 -0400, ROG wrote:
>i'm wondering if anyone out there wouldn't mind parting
>with an overdrive unit for a '73 b.

Roger, I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but adding an O/D to a 'B
requires a transmission swap as well as the O/D unit itself. (Unless you
could come up with something non-original that would work.  For a '73, the
prop shaft should be the same.  I believe you'll need to change the
speedometer as well.

FYI, pricewise, I'm in the process of buying a used four-synchro tranny and
O/D for $450.  Rebuilt, the same shop charge $850.  However, they don't come
across them everyday.  Mine's from a run-down GT they took in trade.  I'm
still looking for the speedometer.

CJC

Roger -
You might be able to do a bit better.  Three years ago I bought a '77 parts
car with an OD trans for $200, and just this month I bought a '76 parts car
with an OD trans for $325.  I don't know about the condition of the 2nd one
yet - but the first worked fine except it would slip out of 3rd
occasionally.  I had Tim Handy (of MG Matters Restorations in Goode,
Virginia) rebuild it completely - the cost was around $400.  If you're
shrewd about selling off the parts you don't need, you could end up with a
free OD trans.  Don't ask me about that 'cause I always end up keeping the
parts.

Allen Bachelder

Allen H. Bachelder, Associate Professor of Trumpet
                                         =iii=<
Department of Music, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061-0240
E-mail: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu, Phone: 703-231-6713,  Fax 703-231-5034