Re: 73B Seat Belts, etc.

To: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Subject: Re: 73B Seat Belts, etc.
From: Joanne Hershfield / Jim Fink <hershfld@email.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 20:06:08 -0400 (EDT)
> Somehow the captive nuts for the convertible top bolts came out... (the
> Does anyone have a better  suggestion?

Well, yes, its crazy but....... I had a welder, with a good deal of
tolerance for the quirks of LBC's and small jobs, Tig weld the correct
nuts to a very wide fender washer, with a small hole in it, smaller than
the nuts OD, Crazy but it worked, I gave him a couple extra to do for
later,,, and in case one warped too much, I ended up re-tapping one of
them....

Then I had to grinding wheel down the sides of one of the washer/nuts to
fit into the upper forward corner against the back of the Door Jamb. Once
these were "PRECISION FIT !" I drilled little holes in the washers and
the cars' steel panel and snugged them up with sheet metal screws, you
could use some flat head screws here and locktite the dickens out of the
nuts on the back so as to avoid the next step.....

Then, once in place, I took the car back to Welder and had him tack in
the wahers through an enlarger hole so he could tig the steels together,
the trick here is the top outside one is tricky to avoid heating/melting
the paint in the corner at the top of the door jamb. But we got away with
it, and they are holding....!!  A fellow SOL'r responded last year when I
posted this acknowledging that he ended up doing the same thing on his
TR3A....? I believe it was....

> As part of the interior kit, we received a "cockpit rail cover"...
> however, we can't figure out where it goes!  It doesn't seem to be for

The Rail cover is (I Believe) to cover the aluminum "Bar"/"Rail" that
wraps around the back of the boot, behind were the top goes down into, It
is bolted in with the same kind of sliding clips that are found one each
on the chrome body mouldings... And some of the little nuts are real
buggers to get at....plenty of SWORKING here.... swearing too, if your so
inclined....!!

TTFN

Jim Fink
'69 B