Re: Silly Little MGB Questions

To: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins), mgs@autox.team.net (mgs)
Subject: Re: Silly Little MGB Questions
From: fisher@avistar.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 13:52:13 -0800
At  2:29 PM 4/5/95 -0500, Todd Mullins wrote:
>Hi, folks.
>
>I've been wondering these for a while now:
>
>- What's the deal with those zip-out rear windows?  When it comes time
>  for my top replacement (probably next year), do I want one?

They're neat if you live somewhere that's very hot and very
sunny.  I have been known to put the top up while parked,
but leave the rear window zipped out.  That way the seats
don't get scaldingly hot because the air blasts through.

Before you reply "But isn't it unsafe to leave your car like
that?" I ask you simply to consider the possibility of getting
into an MGB with a pocketknife...

>- What's this sticker on the left-hand side of my steering column which
>  reads "Caution:  Manual Store Release Lever", with an arrow pointing
>  down the column towards the bulkhead?

I have NO idea.  An elaborate joke on the part of some previous
owner?

>- What's a MOWOG?

Ye have said the cursed name!  Mowog is one of the Old Ones, an
ancient and unclean deity formed when the earth was a boiling
cauldron of foulness.  In the deeps of time, Mowog raised up from
the scum of primordial seas the gibbering demons Tyvek, Merak,
and Kohoutek, setting them forth to feed upon the bones of the
innocent.  Today we know Mowog as the spirit of blackness and
of stench, and his mark is a dank stain on the pale flesh of the
world.  (Or at the very least, the garage floor.)

(For those of you who did NOT grow up reading H. P. Lovecraft
and Edgar Allan Poe, MOWOG stands simply for MOrris-WOlseley
Group, the division within the British Motor Corporation that
included the foundries at which M.G. engine parts and other
components were manufactured.)

>- Why did B(PS)L reverse the taillamp wiring on '70-'80 US-spec models?

Because they're PSers.

>Any takers?
>
>(I'll probably think of more as soon as I send this off...)

Here's a good one: If Joseph Lucas had built an electrical circuit
that was designed to modulate the amount of oil that leaked out
of these cars, they'd never lose a drop.  One of you BSEEs ought
to work on that one...

--Scott "Or is that like washing your car to make it rain?" Fisher

--
Scott Fisher
fisher@avistar.com                 SEFisher@AOL.com