Re: Pos/Neg

To: "Ramm, Andy" <ARAMM@sv.tbgi.com>
Subject: Re: Pos/Neg
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 14:45:46 -0400
Andy -

If Midgets are like B's the switch to negative ground shouldn't be a big
deal - and it's probably explained in the Moss catalog.  The generator has
to be repolarized - which sounds like a very easy task, and if your's is an
electric tach, it needs a bit of rewiring - also explained in the Moss
catalog (for the B, anyway).

I'm not very knowledgeable about Midgets but... hey - you already have
probably the best engine ever made for the Midget.  In fact, it's one of
the best engines BMC ever built.  Austin Rover were still using these
things just 3-5 years ago - turbocharged* - in either the MG Maestro or
Metro or Montego or something (' think they did 0-60 in something under 7
seconds) - maybe they're still using them (can somebody who knows more
about this please correct me?).  The 1500 was not real happy under the
bonnet of a Midget - badge loyalty, don'tcha'know - and at least in the
early transplants (ca 1975) I believe they indulged themselves in a bit of
overheating.  I also understand the old 1275 "A" block can withstand lot's
of tweaking.  More than an MGB engine.  A guy in this area put a 3.8 liter
Buick V6 in a Midget a few years back.  I guess if you're serious about a
big swap, lots of things are possible.

*Turbocharged... Hmmmmm......

If Midgets are like B's the switch to negative ground shouldn't be a big
deal - and it's probably explained in the Moss catalog.  The generator has
to be repolarized - which sounds like a very easy task, and if your's is an
electric tach, it needs a bit of rewiring - also explained in the Moss
catalog (for the B, anyway).

I'll let somebody else deal with the springs.  That stuff is all available
for the MGB - ' can't imagine that it isn't for the Midget also.

Cheers,
Allen Bachelder

Allen H. Bachelder, Associate Professor of Trumpet
                                         =iii=<
Department of Music, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061-0240
E-mail: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu, Phone: 703-231-6713,  Fax 703-231-5034