Re: MGB books

To: "Eric Storey" <eric_storey@mail.mba.wfu.edu>
Subject: Re: MGB books
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 16:47:18 -0400
>I'm looking for some suggestions on good MG literature.  I am in the process
>of looking for a nice MGB to purchase.
>Eric Storey
>Eric_Storey@mail.mba.wfu.edu

Eric -
I think O/D and wire wheels were available on all Bs from '62 until '80.
In fact, I think the only MG that did not have wire wheels was the TD.
VINs, engine ID numbers are in the Moss MGB catalog, which is free.  I
don't have the Moss 800 number handy but perhaps somebody on the list can
post it.  Lots of other good info in the Moss catalog too.

Books -
Lindsay Porter: "MGB - Guide to Purchase and Restoration"
Richard Knudson: "Illustrated MG Buyer's Guide"
Road & Track Magazine: "'Road and Track' on MG Sports Cars 62-80"
John Thornley: "Maintaining the Breed".

Also, I have yet to see a copy - but lots of folks are raving about Anders
Ditlev Clausager's "Original MGB, C & V8".  Clausager is the British Motor
Industry Heritage Trust expert on anything relating to VINs, engine
numbers, production changes and corresponding VINs, etc. etc. etc.  There
are lots of other good books also.  A lot has been written about MGs!  Some
of these books deal with all MGs, not just Bs, but ya gotta kinda love the
whole tradition.  Ya gotta kinda feel that J2, PA, R type, or T series
heritage when you sit at the wheel of your MGB.

If you plan on doing your own repair/maintenance (and I think you should at
least make the attempt - the MG is simple enough  that most of us can do
things to/with it we never thought we could - and it is very satisfying to
be responsible for your transportation), get a Haynes manual also.

I'll also bet that if you post to this list a detailed description of any
car you find for sale, complete with year and VIN, you'll get lots of good
advice on whether or not to buy it and how much to pay for it.
Good luck!
Allen Bachelder