Re: MGB books

To: mgs@autox.team.net, "Allen Bachelder" <Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu>
Subject: Re: MGB books
From: "Ramm, Andy" <ARAMM@sv.tbgi.com>
Date: Tue, 09 May 1995 19:20:45
The Moss 800 # is 1-800 MOSS USA.  BTW, Moss came up with my turn signal
lenses. Let's hope they are the correct ones.  I'll let everyone know
once they arrive.

Other catalogs arefrom Special Interest, 1-800-851-5600 and from Victoria
British, 1-800-255-0088.

These are the free catalogs.  There are others you have to pay for, but I
won't list them, because if they won't tell me for free about what they
want to charge me for in the first place, I'll do business elsewhere.

Cheers,

Andy Ramm

'67 Midget MkIII

----------------Original Message Follows----------------

>I'm looking for some suggestions on good MG literature.  I am in the
process

>of looking for a nice MGB to purchase.

>Eric Storey

>Eric_Storey@mail.mba.wfu.edu

Eric -

I think O/D and wire wheels were available on all Bs from '62 until '80.

In fact, I think the only MG that did not have wire wheels was the TD.

VINs, engine ID numbers are in the Moss MGB catalog, which is free.  I

don't have the Moss 800 number handy but perhaps somebody on the list can

post it.  Lots of other good info in the Moss catalog too.

Books -

Lindsay Porter: "MGB - Guide to Purchase and Restoration"

Richard Knudson: "Illustrated MG Buyer's Guide"

Road & Track Magazine: "'Road and Track' on MG Sports Cars 62-80"

John Thornley: "Maintaining the Breed".

Also, I have yet to see a copy - but lots of folks are raving about
Anders

Ditlev Clausager's "Original MGB, C & V8".  Clausager is the British
Motor

Industry Heritage Trust expert on anything relating to VINs, engine

numbers, production changes and corresponding VINs, etc. etc. etc.  There

are lots of other good books also.  A lot has been written about MGs!
Some

of these books deal with all MGs, not just Bs, but ya gotta kinda love
the

whole tradition.  Ya gotta kinda feel that J2, PA, R type, or T series

heritage when you sit at the wheel of your MGB.

If you plan on doing your own repair/maintenance (and I think you should
at

least make the attempt - the MG is simple enough  that most of us can do

things to/with it we never thought we could - and it is very satisfying

be responsible for your transportation), get a Haynes manual also.

I'll also bet that if you post to this list a detailed description of any

car you find for sale, complete with year and VIN, you'll get lots of
good

advice on whether or not to buy it and how much to pay for it.

Good luck!

Allen Bachelder

---------------- End of Original Message -----------------