Re: tire question

To: HFREEDMAN@MtRoyal.AB.CA, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tire question
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 May 1995 01:13:24 -0400
I'm running 185-70/14 Toyo's on my 67 B with no troubles. Tubeless tires with
tubes are your only choice, so certainly you can do this. Make sure the
inside of the wheel has the rubber strip around the inside spoke heads, and
make sure the outside row of spoke heads is smooth and not rusted, so you
don't puncture a tube. (yes, there's a story there, but I don't want to talk
about it!)
A word about tyres...different makers size their stuff a little differently,
so do not assume that the 185s will fit...make sure they do. Choose a tire
that has some tread around the edge of the sidewall, making a slightly
rounded profile. Although big blocky flat-tread tires look cool, they won't
necessarily handle better on your B, since the suspension allows enough
camber change that when driven with enthusiasm, the tires will be on the edge
of the sidewalls at time. With those real square stiff tires, this results in
less tire contact than with a more rounded and wrap-around design.
Make sure that there is not significant bowing in the sidewalls, if they are
bulging significantly, that tire is too wide for the wheel
Good Luck
(I'm tempted to pun excessively here, but I'll let it go with an "I'm
Tired!")
John