Re: New MG Owner!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New MG Owner!
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 23:42:08 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 15 May 1995, Deborah Buckle wrote:

> Greetings, I am now the proud owner of a maroon 1973 MGB!  It's in great
> shape with an 1800 cc engine (of course), overdrive, dual SU carbs, spoke
> wheels, perelli tyres, and chrome detail.  It came with a hard top, soft top
> and 2 toneau covers!  I live in Victoria, British Columbia and there are a
> number of MG's about, but this is the best one I've seen by far on the
> market of late.  It's very exciting as I've always loved MG's ever since I
> was a little girl.

Sounds great!  I pine for overdrive (especially after driving 750 miles
or so in the last 3 days).

> It's a pleasure to be part of the list.  I'd like to learn as much as
> possible about my new "toy".  The first item on the agenda is to learn how
> to adjust the dual carbs.  I understand they need tweaking just about every
> couple of weeks, is this true??  Any advice anyone can offer would be most
> appreciated, I'm going to spend the next couple of weeks learning the inside
> and out of my MG.

Folks may disagree, but I've found that the LESS you mess with the carbs,
the better they work.   Either learn to set them properly (use the book
procedure) or get an expert to do it once... then leave them be for a
while (months, even).

The HIFs which were original to the 73 are pretty stable once you get
them set...  the HSs seemed to be a bit more temperature sensitive.

The HIFs have the float chamber below the piston, the HSs have it off to
one side or the other.

I will say I did spend a lot of time tweaking my carbs until I rebuilt
the engine.  Now I'm getting 22 city, 26 highway mileage (a tiny bit less
than the original figures) and decent power.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"The Unapplicable Law:
   Washing your car to make it rain doesn't work."