Pollution equipment

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Pollution equipment
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 16:27:13 -0400 (EDT)
The idea that LBCs might be a drag on the market in Germany is
interesting, but I am worried about closer to home.  As I toy with the
idea of buying another car for rainy days, one concern is that I not buy
any more trouble than necessary.

Vermont does not yet have smog testing, but it surely will come and is
likely to resemble testing in other states.  A good many british cars I
find for sale have had their engine replaced with one of a different year,
and most have had their pollution control equipment removed.  I gather
that tests in most states include both a visual inspection to ensure the
original equipment is in place, and a performance test keyed to the year
of manufacture.

My first question is, if the engine and car are from different years, does
the car have to pass the visual and performance tests for the year of the
engine, or for the year of the car?  For example, one car I am considering
is a 72 MGB with a 68 engine.  In those states that have rigorous
inspections, would the applicable visual and performance test be that for
a 68 or for a 72?

Second, is there any source of remanufactured smog control equipment for
the more common lbcs?

Finally, I have heard that most states grant exemptions when the cost of
compliance is above some threshold.  How does this work--can you just
bring in a car that does not comply, document that it would cost too much
to make it comply, and be done?  And how do you document the cost of
compliance, if compliance would require you to buy equipment nobody sells?

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910