Re: Pollution equipment

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mgs)
Subject: Re: Pollution equipment
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 16:06:24 -0500 (PDT)
W. Ray Gibbons writes:
> My first question is, if the engine and car are from different years, does
> the car have to pass the visual and performance tests for the year of the
> engine, or for the year of the car?  For example, one car I am considering
> is a 72 MGB with a 68 engine.  In those states that have rigorous
> inspections, would the applicable visual and performance test be that for
> a 68 or for a 72?

A vehicle which has undergone an engine swap must meet the pollution
regs for the later of either the chassis or the engine.  In your
example, the '68 engine would have to meet '72 specs.

(One of the nice side-effects of living in one of the poorest states of
our Union is the long delay in getting any of the "progressive" [read:
imposing and inconvenient] legislation enacted.  Thus, I do not speak
from any personal experience; my information is second-hand.)

> Second, is there any source of remanufactured smog control equipment for
> the more common lbcs?

My air pump, procured by my Mother's husband, was manufactured by
Hitachi (the car lived with her in California for a while).  I can
query him as to its origin, if you like.

> Finally, I have heard that most states grant exemptions when the cost of
> compliance is above some threshold.  How does this work--can you just
> bring in a car that does not comply, document that it would cost too much
> to make it comply, and be done?  And how do you document the cost of
> compliance, if compliance would require you to buy equipment nobody sells?

Easy - the resultant cost of such an item would be $Infinity, right?
Seriously, if there's a piece of pollution control equipment that you
need to buy, there's _somebody_ _somewhere_ who will sell it to you.
The price will probably be well more than this threshhold.  If you need
a price quote, here are my current prices:

  Air pump:  $1700
  Air pump filter housing:  $250
  Air pump filter, used:  $95
  Air injection rail:  $800
  Air injection rail check valve: $450

Prices of other items available upon request.  Add 25% for shipping.

--

Todd Mullins
todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil     On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer with gold-plated emissions equipment  ;)