Re: Radio Converter -Reply

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Radio Converter -Reply
From: "Ramm, Andy" <ARAMM@sv.tbgi.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 9:10:47 -0400
Well, in an earlier post, I said I was going to convert the car.
However, the local MG parts supply guy says that trying to repolarize an
old generator doesn't always work so well.  Any thoughts?  I know that
he's motivated to sellme new stuff, like an alternator kit, but does
anybody have any thoughts on this?  Anybody switched to an alternator
kit?  How did it work?

Thanks,

Andy Ramm

'67 Midget Mk III -- The Smidgin

----------------Original Message Follows----------------

>  The conversion of

>the car's system from positive ground to negative ground is NOT as

>simple as many posters have said, unless you work on these things

>every day like John does.

This is simply not true!  The conversion is simple, if you have the
proper

instructions.  Especially simple if you have a mechanical tach. instead
of an

electrical tach.  If the interested party has any electrical/mechanical

skills, and the proper instructions (I got mine from an old moss catalog)
the

conversion should not take more than 1 hour, if that.  It really is
switching

maybe 4 sets of wires (maximum), polarizing the generator, and switching
the

tach. if necessary.  True, if one is inept as a british car
owner/repairer,

one will have problems doing this.

Phil Bates

67 MGB (negative ground converted, with electrical tach.)

75 Jaguar XJ12C

52 MG TD replicar (VW)

---------------- End of Original Message -----------------