Re: Radio Converter -Reply

To: Johnmowog@aol.com
Subject: Re: Radio Converter -Reply
From: RLANCASTER@ntia.doc.gov
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 1995 09:21:57 -0400
Yes, John has it right about our ears.  I used a cheap converter for
a radio/tape player about 15 years ago with a rusty B, and the
"whine" or "buzz" you all talk about was very high and faint, you
could only hear it when the motor was off!  When running, you have to
crank the radio way up over the wonderful B noises anyway, and I
could never hear the whine.  If you are a stereo purist, maybe its
worth the trouble, but a simple converter for the radio is small,
mounted easily on the firewall and lasted about 6 years...until the
car rusted out so bad the doors would jam shut.  The conversion of
the car's system from positive ground to negative ground is NOT as
simple as many posters have said, unless you work on these things
every day like John does.  IF you are happy with it the way it is,
positive ground I mean, don't let a radio force you to convert the
car's system, just get a cheap small converter for the radio...even I
was able to install that properly!
||Randy Lancaster               | Tel:202-482-4487        ||
||National Telecommunications   | Fax:202-482-4396        ||
||and Information Administration| rlancaster@ntia.doc.gov ||
||Department of Commerce, USA   | 1967 MGB # 128,471      ||
||Heaven: home brew, driving an MG, but remember...its not||
||a leak, its a British flow through lubrication system!  ||