Re: fuel pump

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: fuel pump
From: daveph@ix.netcom.com (David Hay)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 18:59:59 -0700
Putt4Bucks@aol.com wrote:
>Sorry I can't help with your problem but I do have an interest.  I am
>in the process of reconditioning my '72 BGT and I'm interested to know
>why you changed from the SU's to the Weber.

Well never fear my friend. I did no such thing. You missed the fact
that I own a 1977 B which originally came with a Zenith Stromberg 175CD
single barrel carb (a misnomer of sorts). The Z-S 175 replaced the SU
HIF4s in 1975. I also believe it to be indigenous to the USA (did
Canada ever get this piece of crap?). My Z-S 175 was in such bad shape
and the stock emissions equipment was cut and pasted and screwed up
into such an awful mess that I needed to make a decision. Either
rebuild the power sucking Z-S or replace it with a pair of SU's or a
Weber and try to get some semblance of performance and reliability. I
was urged to buy a Weber by many close friends (here goes that SU myth
again) and at the time the Weber was not only less expensive but more
readily available (this should tip you off that there is an ugly story
buried in here somewhere).
    So don't fret. The SU's are fine carbs and are an excellent balance
of power, economy, and reliability. I made my decision based on the
fact that I didn't have a good carb to start out with. But if I don't
get the Weber up and tuned very soon I'm going to put SU carbs on my
car. (If I get stuck with a $300 paperweight....)
    Another thing: I chose the DGV over the DCOE because I was told
that the DCOE is very tempermental and would make my car illegal (there
is some BS in here somewhere). The advice went on to say that the DGV
had better driveability and reliability than the DCOE (this is
plausible).
    I'll keep everyone posted on events. Questions? Comments?

        Dave Hay