Re: More incunabula

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More incunabula
From: "Roger Garnett" <Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 1995 09:42:43 -5000
W. Ray Gibbons writes:

> You see, Cecil Kimber was getting bored with the MG within an octagon
> motif about the time of the transition from the A to the B.

You are, of course, talking about the 1930-32 18/80 MK II, the original
"Type A" (6 cylinder, 2468cc), and the 1930-31 18/100 MK III, "Type B"
(AKA The Tigress), a race model that didn't really make the mark. But, the
M type sure made up for that.

Just think what Kimber would have done in the 50's, if he hadn't died in
that train wreck in '45. Maybe he would have developed the R type chassis,
full independent suspension on a backbone chassis, long before Colin
Chapman started doing it.

> When his daughter died, she bequeathed hundreds of transmissions with
> Kimber's doodles on them to the BMIHT, who haven't yet figured out quite
> what to do with them.

Have you been reading her will? Jean Kimber Cook is still around and
kicking, and visiting MG meets all over the world on a regular basis. She
probably has these tranny's stored in the shed in the back of her garden,
possibly along with the long lost Magic Midget. (I did sorta hope that car
would turn up in East Germany or Russia after the walls came tumbling
down, but no such luck I guess.)

Now what else can we fit in an Ocatagon?
   ________
  /___  _  \    Roger Garnett            (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \   Agricultural Economics  | The Wayward Sports Car Centre
| |___||  _  |  3 Warren Hall           | http://www.wayward.team.net/
| | \  |   | |  Cornell University      |
 \|  \ |__/ /   Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801 | (607) 533-7735
  \________/    (607) 255-2522          | Safety Fast!