Re: MGB questions, comments (long)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB questions, comments (long)
From: "Roger Garnett" <Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 13:51:10 -5000
Mark A. Dodd, WL/ELOD, X55581 writes:

> >This car steers like a truck, in comparison with Kermit the frogeye.

>  Everything that I have ever driven steers like a truck compared to my
> midget.   From a pure handling standpoint, I don't think are many, if
> any, cars on the road that handle as well as a spridget.

Mostly true, but a B should not be far behind. I did recently get to take
a Caterham 7 for a spin around an auto-x course- It even made my very
tight race preped Bugeye feel like a Buick! You just had to think turn,
and it did!

Another possible source of stiff steering, is mis-alignment of the rack to
the steering wheel shaft. -The steering on my '64 B was stiff, so I went
to rebuild the king pins, and found they were in fantastic shape. Well, it
had been crunched a bit sometime around 1968, and I found that the
crossmember was distorted, along with the rack mounts, basicly turning the
rack downward. This put quite a side load on the rack junction, causing
it to bind. This was far enough out that no shiming would help, and
required replacement crossmember. That's itself was no problem, except
that it also revealed that the right frame rail was bent in as well,
needing to be straightened before the mounting holes match up...

   ________
  /___  _  \    Roger Garnett            (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \   Agricultural Economics  | The Wayward Sports Car Centre
| |___||  _  |  3 Warren Hall           | http://www.wayward.team.net/
| | \  |   | |  Cornell University      |
 \|  \ |__/ /   Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801 | (607) 533-7735
  \________/    (607) 255-2522          | Safety Fast!