66 Midget Front Suspension

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 66 Midget Front Suspension
From: ALAN_COSTICH@HPATC1.desk.hp.com
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 95 10:18:00 -0400
Jack Hamilton asks about removing fulcrum pins. I
assume he is asking about the outer, lower fulcrum pin.

York Powell took his to a machine shop and they used a
hack saw.

I would like to see the hack saw. I believe the lower
pins are hardened. I tried a hacksaw and it wouldn't even
scratch the surface. I used an acy/oxy torch to heat the
center knuckle of the kingpin to cherry red, than just
unscrewed the fulcrum pin. I have also had to use a cut-
off wheel in a die grinder to cut through the pin.

But, the question for both York and Jack: how are you
going to replace the threaded bushes that the fulcrum
pin screws into? Or are you going to go the easy route
and purchase renewed control arms? Do either of you
have a tap for the threads in the control arms? That's
the route I will take, but, I haven't located a tap. I
can turn new tubes and bore them to size. I haven't
figured out how to thread them. And I can't see handing
over $46 for the tubes.

Alan