Re: MGB & LE Differences

To: Denise Thorpe <thorpe@kegs.saic.com>
Subject: Re: MGB & LE Differences
From: David Simpson <davids@cybergate.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 10:51:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 28 Jul 1995, Denise Thorpe wrote:

>.......................................  I want to hear people's
> stories.  Anyone else?
>
> Denise "I'm entitled to my opinion, too." Thorpe
> thorpe@kegs.saic.com

   Okay, Here's a story. I bought my '77 MGB in 1984. It was black. I knew
nothing about MG's, except that this one was sitting out in the rain, top
down, cobwebs around the wheels, etc. Got it for $900.
   Now I know a LOT more about MG's. I've rebuilt the engine, replaced
all the rubber pads and bushings in the chassis and suspension, and
repainted... black. Underneath was that sky blue color that can still be
seen in places way back under the hood (bonnet). A friend of mine who
does excellent body and paint work did the job for me in exchange for my
building his paint spray booth in and old barn. Both turned out very
nice.
   Last April, my son and I took the 'MIG' up to the mountains to go snow
skiing, under beautiful spring conditions, clear road, etc. On the third
day it started snowing, and we got out early but on the way down I lost
it and smacked into a very hard (for snow, anyway) snow bank. Now I have
to change the left fender and the hood, and maybe a new wind skirt, and
find some more black paint.
   (End of story)

    AS far as black MG's, I've seen THREE in town. About 300,000
population in the greater area, so while there are not hordes of MG's
anyway, black ones are very rare. There is an LE running around, another
non-LE black one, and mine. Kind of neat actually, even if it's not
factory. I have yet to finish the interior. It's that baby-poop brown
color, "Autumn Leaf", I think. I'm debating whether to go all black, or
keep the inside baby-poop.

   Enough yacking, I suppose. I'm new to the list and really enjoying it!
A nice change from all the "Those things are such junk!" comments I
always get from the unbelievers!

Bye.
DS